AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cyclo planter biggest shortcoming?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 6/11/2021 01:23 (#9052667 - in reply to #9051751)
Subject: RE: Cyclo planter biggest shortcoming?

West Union, Illinois

steincowboy - ...I’ve never planted corn with it so I’m not sure if the issues lie with that particular seed. Ive heard they can be quirky with different sizes of seedcorn, so is that why they went away from them?
Yes, corn spacing was the biggest downfall.  If I understood 20 years ago what I understand now I think I'd still have a 16 row HRF 900.

I think part of our problem was listening to Dad.  He insisted on heavy large rounds.  HAD to be LR and preferably weighing about as much as a bag of cement ... or so it felt.  Could not get "picket fence" spacing.  Dad said if I wanted perfect go get a plate planter.  I did, a Deere vac  But that side tracks us

Doing it again I'd use a small plateless seed, do as was suggested and put 2 diffusers in each row, and pay more attention to air pressure and the brush in the drum (Dad always tied it up).  An often overlooked item is the seed furrow firming point.  It is very important in getting a consistent depth and preventing seed bounce.   Other than it did not fold hydraulically the HRF still is one of the best designs going.  

Having said all that, we were growing seed production for Pioneer at the time.  They came out and measured and calculated and showed us just how many gaps and doubles we were actually getting in the field.  We traded for a Deere vac and they did the same difference next year.  Amazing the difference.  However, I think 2 diffusers and more attention to lower air pressure would have helped a lot.

Did it make a difference?  All I can say is I never grew 200 bushel corn until I went green.  Was that the only change?  No, a lot of things hit at the same time.  But I still think row spacing was a big factor.

I think if you could put a 20/20 type monitor on and and play with adjustments you could get very acceptable spacing.  But I don't think it will  match the picket fence look of Deere, Kinze, or the newer Case.  The question is: Is your limiting factor row spacing?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)