AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What are my options with employees who smoke?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 3/4/2019 18:33 (#7359125)
Subject: What are my options with employees who smoke?

I now have 3 full time employees. The second employee I added before planting season last year. He smokes. As far as I can tell he doesn’t smoke much if any in my equipment. I can smell it in the pickup that he drives the most but I’ve never seen him smoke in it and I think it’s just the smell from his clothes getting transferred to the pickup.

So that guy, I really have not had an issue with his smoking too much. I don’t like it, but heck, everyone has problems and addictions are tough to beat.

But now I have a 3rd employee. He actually started during fall harvest, then wrecked his vehicle and got injured and just now came back to work about a week ago after getting healed up from that. He is a younger guy that has had a troubled past but I believe he is really genuinly trying to change that around. One small part of trying to change that around is that he had quit smoking for a month before he came back to work here. His parents and siblings (who he is currently living with) are a good influence in all aspects of life but also in that they do not smoke so it made it an easier environment for him to stop smoking in.

He came back to work and being around my second employee who still smokes proved to be too much of a temptation and he’s now started smoking again.

Who knows if he would have truly quit long term or not but I just really hate that his place of employement is exposing him to a temptation there.

So what are my options to make this better? I doubt I can tell my second guy, “you can’t smoke at work”.

I imagine I can tell him, “if you need a smoke break, make sure you are at least 1/4 of a mile from my 3rd employee” but that may not be practical all the time and even then my 3rd employee will be able to smell it on the clothes of my second employee sometimes I’m sure.

Any advice? I have never smoked a single time so not only do I not know what I can legally require but I also don’t know what that addiction is like and don’t know if some expectations are too lofty or too low.

Thanks.

Edited by dpilot83 3/4/2019 18:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)