AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I Walked Off the Field Today...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Conan the Farmer
Posted 9/17/2018 09:07 (#6992549 - in reply to #6992477)
Subject: RE: All Tongue in Cheek

South Central Iowa
You have some good points Ditt. You caught the seriousness through the joke. I think what Davis did and said after is relatable to our industry. He had a situation that was deteriorating, showed no signs of improvement, and he in frustration wondered, "why do I keep doing this?" He decided to make a change and I wouldn't blame anyone else for thinking the same.

Some change comes in the form of crop switching, some in real retirement.

That semi of mine went from being worth $25K to about $5K with the crank of the engine. So I get an unexpected expense and need to come up with something quick. Luckily I have a pup truck that can fill in, but not when we are on corn.

That leads to an underlying frustration of mine though. We in Ag always have to pay. If the crop is short, we have to pay. If the price is low, we have to pay. If something breaks, we have to pay.

It's never the case that, "well, the yield was short so even though the seed guy was suppose to get $200 a bag, now he only gets $100." And then like a farmer, he just has to try to make it up next year. Hey should have hedged your risk! Lol. Same for a banker, equipment dealer, fert or chem supplier, etc. Short crop and/or low price; you guys get a reduced amount relative to it and no, you don't get it next year, you just have to make it up.

Then they would operate like the farmer. It's why I call them leeches and succubus's above. A lot of people live off of us and always take.

Anyway, rant over.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)