AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I Walked Off the Field Today...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Conan the Farmer
Posted 9/16/2018 23:51 (#6992136)
Subject: I Walked Off the Field Today...

South Central Iowa
This isn't how I pictured retiring from Agriculture.

But in my 7th crop season, I have been doing what I have been programmed to do: Drive over the same patch of dirt for the 4th or 5th time this year. I have endured multiple dry spells and farmed through many equipment breakdowns throughout my career. It appears my early soybeans will yield in the low 40's and today, my semi hydrolocked, likely from a cracked piston head, and a chopper bearing went out causing a small chaff fire. These are just my latest farming challenges.

But today on the field, reality hit me fast and hard: I shouldn't be out there anymore.

I meant no disrespect to my lenders and suppliers; succubus's and leeches respectively. But I hold myself to a standard. Mentally, I always expect to grow super massive crops at no cost with equipment that makes the Amish blush and sell them for beaucoup big profits! But realistically, I know that isn't possible, and I had an honest moment with myself. While I was in the field, I just didn't feel right, and I told my Dad and BIL, "I'm not feeling like myself."

I also wondered: Do I want to keep sacrificing?

And truthfully, I do not because the season is long, and it's more important for me and my family to walk away healthy than to willfully embrace the "farmer mentality" and limp away flat broke.

This was an overwhelming decision, but I'm at peace with myself and my family. I choose to be grateful to God for allowing me to grow the crops I worried about getting lost in as a boy until I turned 30 years old. There were roadblocks and pitfalls along the way, Trump did it, but I am grateful to God, oh so grateful. Did I mention I was grateful to God? How about one last time then.

Praise Jesus!

Conan the Farmer

In case you missed it, Vontae Davis, a cornerback for the Bills, retired at halftime of a game today. Just walked away and quit in the middle of a game! This is my spoof on his statement.

Anyone else ever feel like having a Vontae Davis type day? LOL

(VontaeDavis (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments VontaeDavis (full).jpg (294KB - 205 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)