AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting into Hogs?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Livestock_ohio
Posted 8/2/2018 09:26 (#6907006 - in reply to #6906780)
Subject: RE: Getting into Hogs?

Central Ohio
Don't put too much weight in my opinion because I am still trying to start up my farming operation......

I started with pigs. Selling fair pigs in the spring basically pays for the sow's yearly expenses, and fall pigs get fed out for freezer pork and replacements. Buy a quality bred gilt and it is pretty easy to build a herd in a hurry. I justified buying a grinder/mixer based off how much I was spending on feed at the mill. Now that I have that, I have some cows because my feed cost allows me to do it at a small profit. I want to get hay equipment to make cheaper hay for my cows and sell hay as another form of income. I can always feed what I can't sell, so worst case I can walk my hay off the farm in the form of beef.

I do have an off the farm job that is pretty good, but it also settled me with $45k in student loans to get the degree required to do it. This isn't an overnight success guide, but it is enough to feed the addiction. I get up at 4:30 AM most days to feed and work on things before my town job, and have got used to living on an average of 5 hours of sleep. I hope to "retire" from my town job in the next decade and make sure the opportunity is there for my 4 kids to have farm jobs if that is where their heart leads them. I have had help from family and friends along the way, so I am not saying I plan on achieving this goal all by myself.

Many people have said to me that this is not a good time to get into agriculture or there is no money in it. If it is your desire to do it, you will find a way. As long as you grow into your operation and resist the temptation to take on debt, you will be fine. Maybe I am too optimistic, but at least I put my money where my mouth is. I am trying and enjoy most aspects of it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)