AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting into Hogs?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

BR1089
Posted 8/1/2018 19:34 (#6906073 - in reply to #6905597)
Subject: RE: Getting into Hogs?

NWIA
Dad and I were talking about this today with young guys getting into raising pigs outside for the niche market and putting up 'modern' version of outside facilties. It gave him the shivers thinking about those good old days. I realize your family did something like this year's ago, but you might want to try small scale before diving into something like that so you realize how much bedding and manure you have to haul out and accept the fact that the pigs will still be a mess. I'm a young guy too and adding diversity is a fantastic idea. I have built a couple of total confinement buildings with a coop. I don't get paid squat now but get the manure and equity. The thing is my buildings are worth the same today as they were 5 years ago and would have no problem getting my money out of them which might not be the case on a cheaper outside facility. As far as having a job in town that's not a bad idea, but all it is a check, no equity, you really have nothing to show for it if you up and quit. I like to think if I died today my wife and kids would have something to draw income off of. Just something to think about. I definitely say do something, but try out a few things first. There's my 2 cents, flame away.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)