AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting into Hogs?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

oldtiger
Posted 8/1/2018 21:03 (#6906284 - in reply to #6906106)
Subject: RE: Getting into Hogs?

NEMO
Last 2 posts have a lot of common sense. Way back when I was young, a guy could raise hogs and save up for a land payment. That lasted about 15-20 years, and then all the country buying stations disappeared. You actually could call 3 different stations and get a good bid, wow times changed quick. If the OP has the skill set, then great, but I wouldn't spend much if anything on facilities, and would go in with my eyes wide open that you could work for years, and completely waste your time. Look at dairy now, lots of smaller guys have now lost all their equity. Like Bean says, if you can pass a drug test and keep your head on straight, there is gobs of work. Get training, save that good early IRA money, retire at a decent age. There are lots of speciality jobs or trades that can't fill spots. I dunno, we sure need young folks in Ag, but raise hogs on a whim,,,thinking there is a better way. And as to that comment above about BTO's posting stuff like this to keep young folks out,,,that ranks in the top 10 of dumb things I've read on here. Brudno's post makes a lot of sense, the part about stress

Edited by oldtiger 8/1/2018 21:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)