AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

End users of corn ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 2/7/2016 08:15 (#5093707 - in reply to #5093526)
Subject: RE: End users of corn ?

North Central Illinois
This has been the perfect time to make machinery upgrades that were long overdue. If a producer couldn't make some big machinery upgrades over the last seven years they won't ever be able to. I think you might have a point with the corn belt angle. There are a lot of young bucks who started farming with dad about the time things turned around. Some of those guys were very smart and bought some machinery or dirt and just put their head down and took care of business. Unfortunately there were a lot who suddenly had what seemed like a lot of money in their pocket and just started spending it. A lot of really young guys went out and started throwing really big cash rent around too. Granted, most of these guys had dad behind them but I can think of more than one operation in my area that is in real trouble because the younger generation thought the good times were here to stay.

I truly did not mean to offend you. Just reporting what I see in this area. With the exception of 2012 our area has been blessed with good to phenomenal crops over the past seven or eight years. Even 2012 was a record revenue year for a lot of guys due to prices off the combine at close to $8 or over and a big crop insurance check. There has been an incredible amount of money made in the past seven to eight years. Some knew how to handle it and others did not.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)