AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would you say to John Deere's tractor engineers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Virginia Veg.
Posted 3/25/2013 17:14 (#2990638 - in reply to #2990172)
Subject: Hired help.

Eastern VA. No such thing as too many Magnums.
I didn't say one word negative about the help. I don't care if they're rocket scientists or steering wheel holders. The fact is most of the migrant tractors do one thing, pull the harvest machines. They need no electronics. None. They don't need autosteer, they don't need a pto, they don't need electronic adjustable hydraulic flow controls or timers, they don't need electronic draft control, they don't need a touch screen, they don't need electronic throttles or electronic powershifts. They don't need auto engage MFWD or auto 4 wheel braking, they don't need fancy programmable lighting. They don't need "resume" or "learn" buttons, or end of field programs. They don't need suspension. They don't need active seats. I don't need to know how many gallons of fuel per acre I'm using. I don't need one that de-rates itself because it thinks the filter is plugged. Honestly, I don't care if the tach and speedometer don't even work. But I prefer they do. They run out of fuel all the time, so apparently they only occasionally watch the fuel gauge.

What they need, is Four wheel drive, 200 hp that will spin all 4 wheels. they need a 3 point hitch with high capacity. They need an on/off switch for field lights or road lights. They need a powershift that is reliable. An electronic forward/reverse shuttle would be alright I guess. They need to not be susceptible to mud/rain. They need fuel, coolant, hydraulic, and engine oil tanks that are easy to check and fill. I would be content to buy a few with open station cabs too, but I won't right now because all the electronics would get goofed up within a few years. The crew would rather have open cabs, they only move them forward and get off anyway. I'm sure they are capable of using their smart phones, but they probably care a lot more about that than any tractor they're using. So a fancy one is not necessary. Magnum 7250s and 8950s are the preferred choice. I would buy 4955s too, but they aren't as reliable. I like our 305s, and hired guys run them too, but I don't think they'll make it to the same high hours as the old Magnums.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)