AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would you say to John Deere's tractor engineers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 3/25/2013 08:58 (#2989703 - in reply to #2989592)
Subject: RE: What would you say to John Deere's tractor engineers?

The sitting on the computer is the winter time activity, planning things out, making sure boundaries make sense for every field and making sure guidance patterns make sense for every field. I actually wouldn't anticipate that being a high percentage of the time spent during the year.

What I would hope with this model would be for me to be able to increase the quality of the job I'm doing and do more in the same amount of time. Imagine that you have 6 of these 12 row machines in a field. You're sitting in an enclosed UTV type vehicle and you have a computer setup that monitors all of the sensors on all of the machines. There is an alarm mounted outside your UTV so that when you get out and dig you can hear if an alert occurs. Your UTV has an excellent cab and filtration system so you can pull up right behind your planter and watch each row as you move over one row at a time following the planter. Then you drive over to the next planter and do the same thing.

You could set it up so that some of the planters are running one variety and other planters are running another variety (or population or fertilizer rate or or or) making doing replicated field trials a breeze. I belive there will always be opportunities for very hands on type farmers for the rest of our lifetime. It's just that it may not be you sitting in the seat of the tractor running it. It will be you doing things that are more valuable like checking to make sure that planter is really doing a good job while it's still moving.

I don't know about you but I hate it when I have a 24 row planter and a 400 horse tractor and a 350 bushel air cart sitting still and idling while I'm stopping to dig. I want to increase the productivity of the machine while enabling myself to increase quality control simultaneously. To me it would be a really exciting thing.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)