AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Carpal tunnel surgery
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Fingers77
Posted 2/25/2021 09:46 (#8857139 - in reply to #8856995)
Subject: RE: Carpal tunnel surgery

I had my dominant hand done first, it was more painful day to day, so I opted for it first.

I guess part of your decision is whether or not they are going to scope you to do it. I would think if they do scope you, there will probably be less pain and faster healing.

I had both of mine done by an old fashioned incision. Maybe a 1.5" cut in each palm. The doc that did mine didn't scope me for whatever reason, I never knew and never thought to ask.

After surgery, I was not in a whole lot of pain, except for the incision itself. I was back at work within a day or two. Wrenching wasn't too bad. Pain will usually stop you from doing any damage. Keeping it clean is a little cumbersome.

Pushing against my palms was my real sore part. I had reasonable finger strength immediately, so grasping tools was not bad. Pulling wrenches was OK as well, it was pushing with my palm (against the incision) that gave me pain.

The really hard part was pushing myself up with my palms, like getting up off the floor. It not only pushed against the palm, it spread the incision as I put more weight on it. I very quickly learned to push myself up with my fist balled up instead of flat like we all do naturally. Painful. After I had my Right hand done, I actually split the incision partially open (like 1/4" wide and almost 1/4" deep) and it took a while longer than my (dominant) left hand to heal.

Now a decade later, the scar is barely visible in either hand. I still have a little residual nerve damage, but there is nothing that can be done about that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)