AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Something to ponder....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

john holland
Posted 2/19/2021 22:39 (#8845812 - in reply to #8845544)
Subject: RE: Something to ponder....

SE MN
Based on the info I could find, trendline would be 179.1. Keep in mind the trendline is a linear fit to good and bad years. Also keep in mind that actual yield is greater than trendline more often than it is below trendline (this is possible because when it is below trendline, it is far below and when it is above trendline, it is usually only slightly above). If one assumes a normal year, and you believe in a linear trendline, 179.5 seems like a good starting place given that we know nothing useful about the growing season yet. Looking at the data, a linear trendline seems like the best fit to me, so claims of a non-linear trendline are wishful thinking without extraordinary evidence.

As far as using a yield that has never been achieved, looking at data starting in 1988, the following years had yields never before achieved:
That's 11 out of 32 years reporting the highest average yield ever. Seeing as the last two years haven't been all that great, and the historical average that 1/3 years is a record, predicting a record for the coming season doesn't seem so crazy to me. Remember to not mix up what you want to happen with what you think will happen.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)