AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Managing kids and devices - what’s The best system? - we are losing the battle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

kpaul
Posted 12/23/2020 14:29 (#8692280 - in reply to #8691942)
Subject: RE: Managing kids and devices - what’s The best system? - we are losing the battle

north central Iowa, Hampton
My youngest is in college, so I've lost a few and won a few of those battles. 10 years ago, there weren't quite as many things with screens either.

Both parents need to be on the same page, otherwise those intelligent kids learn to divide and conquer! I think the opportunities you'll find for improving the situation are buried in the statement, " With the chaos of life and work..." You don't have much control over the kids if they're at school, or daycare through the day. Where you do have full control is after school, at mealtime and up to bed time. And on weekends. Predictable schedules always worked for us.

Look for ways the kids can actually learn to help. Are there chores or shop projects kids can help with? They can learn how to cook from a young age. Cleaning up around the house is an all-hands job. You might even create "make-work" jobs. It will take you more time at first to teach them how to do these tasks than it does to do it yourself. You're the only guy who can answer what is most important--your efficiency or their development. If you can keep them busy with jobs, games, projects, homework, piano lessons, working with you, working for you, cooking, cleaning, shooting hoops for a few minutes and so on, you'll be exhausted, but they won't have nearly as much vacant time on their hands.

As to the constant need to buy game updates--I'm ok with "no." They don't have to like it, but one parenting job is to teach them to be responsible. You don't have to be mean about it, just firm and consistent. The tantrums will fade in a while.

A problem well stated is half solved. Glad you're aware that something should change.
Good Luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)