AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Managing kids and devices - what’s The best system? - we are losing the battle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

frytownfarmer
Posted 12/24/2020 00:13 (#8693549 - in reply to #8691942)
Subject: RE: Managing kids and devices - what’s The best system? - we are losing the battle

Frytown, Iowa
You can either make stronger fences to keep the sheep in or you can work with the sheep and train them that it’s best for them to stay in the area they are to be in. Then it requires no fences...

We are the same way. I grew up with rules and expectations but I couldn’t wait to try the things I wasn’t supposed to do when I got older. What did those fences do? Only prolonged my desire for things my parents didn’t want me to do. It takes time to train an animal and it takes time to teach your kids but that time has to be spent. I know when I tell my kids to go play outside they complain... they play for 5 minutes and are back knocking at the inside door wanting to come back in... but holy cow if I go out with them and throw football or shoot hoops we are out there for ever.

Hopefully what I’m trying to say is understood. I’m not the perfect parent by any means. I hate to think of what troubles await me in parenting teenagers but I know they are coming. I also know that fencing in my kids will only prolong their desires for when I’m no longer in control. I have to teach them I have good plans for them, I don’t make rules for just control.., and when they disobey I still care about them and understand they are human.

Instead of putting a time management system on the kids devices maybe put a time management device on your work or your time and get involved with your kids now when they need you to be interested in their life. Easier said than done I know. I fail at that all the time but I’m aware it something I need to prioritize. And it’s definitely NOT an “easy button” to push.

Good luck. Your kids are an investment. Invest in their interests even if for half the time it’s playing their video game with them just to get on their level/something to talk about.

Frankly... fences don’t work long term

Edited by frytownfarmer 12/24/2020 00:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)