AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Managing kids and devices - what’s The best system? - we are losing the battle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

scoot
Posted 12/23/2020 11:48 (#8691942)
Subject: Managing kids and devices - what’s The best system? - we are losing the battle

NE Nebraska
I’ve looked at things like “Circle”. It is a device that interfaces with wi-if, allowing the parent to have complete management of all devices and content in the home. It does require a subscription. I’m reluctant to spend on something I’m not sure about.

A little about the situation: The device age we find ourselves in is something many parents today could never be prepared for. We have four kids, the oldest 13. No cell phones yet, which will be another challenge -(Watch “Social Dilemma” on Netflix). Devices will be a part of their world moving forward. At fifth grade they receive an I-pad. Add in the mistake of giving in on X-Box, or Nintendo Switch and kids have endless addictive distractions at their fingertips. With the chaos of life and work, the devices too easily become baby sitters at times. As parents, we are guilty of this, but were unaware of the monster/s we were creating. Also, these internet based gaming companies are geniuses. The games require more money for additional features and characters or “skins” (Fortnight). So kids become these little agents constantly pestering parents to use the credit card because they need to get this one little thing in a game. What a wasteful wormhole it is. The kids do chores, you give them cash, and then they give the cash back so you can use your card to buy gaming features. It’s ridiculous. I know we could just throw this stuff in the trash, but like I said, it is part of their world. As parents we are ready to take a stand and begin managing this situation better.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)