AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Single Axle to replace farm pickup thoughts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 9/16/2020 07:38 (#8498397 - in reply to #8498150)
Subject: RE: Single Axle to replace farm pickup thoughts

East of Broken Bow
I got a single axle tractor and grain hopper, and have set it up for pulling a gooseneck. My thoughts were at least for big loads I'd rather wear out a $2500 single axle tractor, instead of a $20,000 pickup.

Someone mentioned a single axle tractor might be low on power. Maybe some are, but you can find them with as much HP as you want. My old $2500 single axle tractor has a 14L Cummins Big Cam in it. I really don't know what engine you'd have to have in a pickup, to make it feel weak.
As far as the 466 engine, you need to check the specs. There is a wide range of HP ratings for them, anywhere from anemic to strong. If you are concerned, you can get a 530, which is basically a larger displacement 466. Those pull stronger, and are often paired with an Allison, if you want an auto. True autos (like an Allison) are much easier to find on a single axle tractor, than you might think.
I like the flatbed idea, and I'd put on a HEAVY one. Probably the biggest drawback of the single axle semi, over a pickup, even a 2wd pickup, is traction. You can get aggressive tires for the semi, but the rear end is still very light compared to the front end when empty (especially mine with that big Cummins hanging over the front axle). Adding more weight would make it ride better, as well.
Air ride is much preferred over spring ride. Spring ride will be quite rough without enough weight on it, and l suspect most of the time, even loaded, there won't be enough weight to really smoothen it out all that much. Air ride self-compensates for load, and would be much preferred IMO. Not a lot rides rougher than a lightly loaded single axle.
Wiring for a conventional trailer can be a challenge, as a semi is wired to have separate lights (and wires) for turn signals and brake lights, while a pickup trailer uses the same light (wire) for both. To get it to work right, you will need to get an adapter with diodes in it, to keep both tail lights from blinking when you use the turn signal, or tap into the wiring at the brake lights of the semi, as they use a standard wiring schematic.

For the hook-up, some people will add a gooseneck ball to their semi. Instead, I recommend, getting a 5th wheel hitch, and hitching it directly to the 5th wheel plate. On our gooseneck cattle trailer, the stem above the hitch coupler is adjustable for height, and I just pull out the moveable part of the stem (the part that has the ball coupler on it) and insert a piece with a 5th wheel coupler in its place. There is enough adjustment, if I slide it pretty much all the way in, the trailer sits level. Around here, if you are coupled to the 5th wheel, you don't need to worry about hooking the safety chains.

Lastly, when you look at a tractor, check out its ground clearance. There is a tremendous difference in ground clearance from truck to truck. Many of the old delivery truck tractors have a kind of fiberglass skirting that comes very close to the ground. Sometimes the gas tanks hang down low. Others have as much or more clearance than a long bed pickup would have.

Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)