AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SCC what re you doing to lower yours?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 9/10/2020 12:29 (#8487017 - in reply to #8486768)
Subject: RE: SCC what re you doing to lower yours?

northeastern Ohio
A few years ago I was in the same boat as you. SCC suddenly was through the roof (400-600k) and I was losing my quality premiums which amounted to around $1000 per month. I was finding a new case of mastitis every day. Treated all, culled a lot, but couldn't get it cleared up.

I cultured the milk tank as well as any cows that showed mastitis. All cultures came back as environmental. I switched from straw bedding to sand and redid all my freestalls. Counts dropped immediately to 150k.

You did not mention if you are on DHI test or not. If not, you might find that going on test will find those problem cows and lower your SCC enough to cover the cost of the testing. You might have a couple super shedders that are subclinical.

Or you could have a contagious mastitis which would require a different plan.

So I would start with at least a bulk tank culture. There are two types of cultures:

1) PCR test. This test will detect dead and live mastitis organisms in the milk. Lancaster DHIA offers this test: http://www.lancasterdhia.com/services/culture-lab
2) Traditional culture. They put the sample in a dish and see what grows. Only live organisms can be detected. So if the cows immune system has already done its job of killing the organism, your culture might not grow anything. Your vet should be able to tell you where you can send them.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)