AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SCC what re you doing to lower yours?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MI Dairy
Posted 9/10/2020 20:00 (#8487830 - in reply to #8486955)
Subject: RE: SCC what re you doing to lower yours?

Missaukee Mi
First if you have one blow up I would get it cultured and see if you are dealing with contagious or environmental.
Stalls:
What are you doing for stall maintenance, solely adding bedding or cleaning the backs as well? When we were in our old parlor and overcrowded we would shovel every time we got a group up, push the clean sand to the front and dig out any contanimated in the back. With new barn and being spread out we shovel stalls and we fill stalls full once a week. How often do you scrape? We had alley scrapers and still have them in our new barn they run 6-12 times a day. We like how clean the stalls and the cows stay with clean alleys. But i know this isnt feasible in most situtions so I would shoot for scraping at least 2 times, more times the better.
Milking procedure:
We have robots now so that does all the steps. But when in our double six parlor the two of us would prep the first 4, wiping each cow with paper towels until free of sand and manure paying close attention to teat ends, use a pre dip and then start at the beginning and wipe the dip off with fresh paper towels, strip each teat and attach. Aiming to have the milkers on within 1 to 1.5 mins.(least i think this was our goal) Then prep the last two on that side and one guy would finish attaching while the other post dip the other side. We always felt post dipping with a good thick iodine barrier dip was highly important. Our SCC was consistently 80-100,000. With the robots we are sub 75,000

How is your teat end health? Have you had your pulsation and vacuum checked lately? My dad was always better at knowing when to take a milker off, I was terrible so for me auto take offs were a must have, you don't want to over milk and stress the teat ends, creating an easier way for bacteria to get in.

How is your feed quality? We received some bad corn from our local feed mill last year and shortly after that our butterfat dropped and somatic cell and mastitis cases spiked. We had this one time before when our previous nutritionist had our ration incorrectly balanced and the same thing happened.

I guess I would try individual towels for each cow, paper were easy for us and would be cheap to try for a while. We always used a brown trifold towel. Dirty cows we would even use different ones for individual teats. I would also make sure you are getting the milker on in a timely manner as to not mess with their let down. I would also try a pre dip and post dip for sure. That way instead of a wash getting diluted or contaminated you have a consistent full strength product being applied. This would be a cheap way to try a different method and if no benefits come of it you aren't out much. Take it for what its worth, but we always had good luck with this system.

Edited by MI Dairy 9/10/2020 20:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)