AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Entertaining the Idea of Higher Education
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 3/12/2019 07:40 (#7375098 - in reply to #7375066)
Subject: RE: Entertaining the Idea of Higher Education

chadlit - 3/12/2019 07:24

This farming deal (losing money every year or breakeven at best) is tiresome.

Lots of areas have made LOTS of money the last couple of years. It may be your areas turn this year. Keep your chin up.

Taxes/bank numbers show how challenging it can be to overcome asset depreciation.

This is in my opinion the golden era for asset depreciation for farmers if you quit buying new equipment. You can run a modern 400 HP articulating row crop tractor with 3-point, PTO, and high flow hydraulics for probably $15/hour of depreciation or less if you keep your eyes open. You can run a 60' planter for $2/acre or less depreciation if you keep your eyes open. You can run a class VII combine for $50/sep hour or less of depreciation if you keep your eyes open. You can run a 120' 1200 gallon sprayer for $15/hour of depreciation if you keep your eyes open.

Gotta turn a wrench sometimes though.

Like my FIL says, the 80's are going to be nothing compared to whats going to happen this time around.

Bold statement. Could be. Wouldn't surprise me if corn and beans go where they could go. But the opportunites for marketing much much better than that outcome already presented themselves this year.

Enough ramblings. Going back to my initial thought of furthering ones education to provide a better life for the family...anybody do this and regret it or anybody currently doing this? If so, how do you manage to get all the farm work done and still find the needed time to study?

He who hangs in there is the one who ends up being successful. You can afford to switch careers once or maybe twice but every time you do it makes it harder to make it to the top of said career. Good luck.

Edited by dpilot83 3/12/2019 07:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)