AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Entertaining the Idea of Higher Education
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chris
Posted 3/12/2019 10:28 (#7375441 - in reply to #7375066)
Subject: RE: Entertaining the Idea of Higher Education

East central Iowa

I'm a big proponent of higher education. 

The advantages of a degree are many.  You can't easily move a farm but you can use your degree anywhere in the world. If taxes or conditions become onerous where you live you can move.  Try that with 500 acres. 

Property is taxed.  Education isn't. 

However one caveat, your degree has to be something universally valuable and have a wide spread need.  Art history isn't going to be of great value compared to genetics, computer engineering, or electrical engineering etc. 

A degree in some areas requires a masters or PHD to be of any value financially.  Some people claim that happiness is what counts but it doesn't always provide for happiness in old age.  You will get old and currently I believe to live decently and comfortably you will require more than a million dollars in assets.  Which brings me to another consideration. 

Don't rely on a retirement program from an employer.  Companies go broke, CEO's loot retirement programs as does or will the government.  Live on less than you make and invest.

If you have the ability, the funds and the time(part of the ability) then get a better education. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)