AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wireless or computer problem?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Hayburner
Posted 2/6/2009 01:02 (#598559 - in reply to #598522)
Subject: Re: Wireless or computer problem?

Boog, I will try help where I can but..... First the easy stuff. If you are running XP, I believe 2G of memory is the max you can have, otherwise the system doesn't recognize it. I believe you need Vista to use more. I do not believe any increase in memory will fix a networking problem, which, given what you said, is the problem. Going to another site, doing a repair, etc. all sound as if you have weak signal, and it may just be reconnecting at the minimum you can receive. How long does it take before you can get reconnected?
Since the ISP tech said they could trace it to the antenna and the strength was low, I believe what is happening is normally atmospherics is causing it to intermittently drop out altogether. What weather conditions are there when it drops out? Do you have a good connection of sunny, calm days? How far is it between your antenna outside your house and the transmitter from the ISP? With a weak signal like this, you might have to work with the ISP on what you can do to improve your reception such as moving the antenna higher, realigning it, getting a different one, etc. How did they determine you could receive the signal at your house? Did they do a field strength test showing how much they should be able to receive? If your ISP has a different (hopefully directional) antenna, it would improve the likelihood you would stay connected.

Edited to add: If you are running XP and it drops out again, try the below steps and see how fast you reconnect.

Click Start, Run, and type in CMD in the box, then hit Enter. When the command line window opens, type in
ipconfig /release
hit enter.
ipconfig /renew
hit enter and see if it reconnects right away.

Edited by Hayburner 2/6/2009 01:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)