AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wireless or computer problem?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 2/6/2009 00:06 (#598522)
Subject: Wireless or computer problem?

I have wireless internet but lately have been having problems with my connection getting dropped. It will be working fine then the next minute when I go to post a reply, change threads or go to another website I get a "Internet Explorer cannot find this website". It goes on to say the problem may be in the website, a connection problem or wrong spelling of the adress.

I have found at times I can go to another website & it will work but at times it doesn't. Other times I have to go into "Network Connections " (XP) & do a "repair". Other times I have to reboot or unplugged the computer & even then it may get the connection back or not.

The transmitter I am on had problems a couple weeks ago & was down for several days due to what the IPS said was cold weather. Then was down again last Monday for most of the day. However, I had this problem several months ago & mostly went away till this week & it has been especially bad the last couple of days. If this post makes the board it will be the 3rd time I have tried. Yesterday I missed out on booking an air flight because it happen while I was trying to make the arrangements & when I got back on there wasn't anymore tickets available :~((

I have talked to my IPS several times including twice today. The tech says there diagnostic tests show that they can trace signal back to the transmitter on my house, apparently this is as far as their testing will allow, but that the signal strength is low. He had me unplugges what he called the "ingestor", the small plugin device that the router & outdoor transmitter connects to & supplys power to them. This helped but I have encountered the problem a couple times again this evening. BTW, the "ingestor" was replaced last fall when I was having similiar problems

Has anyone ran into a similiar problem or have a suggestion as to what may be the problem?

Second question. The tech said that increasing the memory of my computer should help. Currently it has 1gb of memory but according to the computer manual it can take up to 4 gb. Several years ago I recall talk that increasing the memory tooo much could cause overheating. Would this be a problem if the manufacturer (Dell) says it can go up 4gig? Or would I be better just increasing memory to 2 gig? I have a fiend who had been having similiar problems, though not as often, who increased his from 1 gig to 2 gig & says he doesn't notice the problem since. Plus he says it really made a difference in how quickly different programs work. I have noticed somewhat of a slowdown in opening of some programs and did a "defrag" but that didn't seem to make any difference.

BTW, for antivirus & spyware protection I am running AVG 8.0 & Spybot Search & Destroy

TIA for your help,
boog
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)