AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Equipment right for 80 acre farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

eckarsp
Posted 9/14/2018 13:16 (#6987893 - in reply to #6987764)
Subject: RE: Equipment right for 80 acre farm

tim4870 - 9/14/2018 11:41

The equipment is only part of the equation, the man running it makes a big difference in whether this works or not. You'll need to be good with a wrench.

You need to take into account how flexible your day job is, can you get time off during planting and harvest? I think a key to making this work is being organized and managing your time well. Things may seem clear and simple in your head now, but write your plans down so that when the unexpected happens, your not flustered and forget your plans. For example, have notes about what your planting/where/seed rate/etc, and why you made those decisions. That information will be helpful while planting and in selecting seed the following years. Have your grain contracts handy on your phone so that when your done shoveling corn off the ground because someone forgot to close the trap, you can still remember how many loads you delivered and whats left to fill the contract.

For me, I put everything on Google Drive, and use my camera to scan in things like seed/fertilizer receipts, so I have them handy all the time.

Do you plan to plant one or two crops each year? Planting one is much easier, less to keep track of and easier to hire work done because its more acres. The negative to planting only one is that you put all your eggs in one basket, and your memory of how to handle each crop fades when handling the crop once every two years.

I assume you'll hire out the spraying since I didn't see that mentioned. You can do that yourself easily enough, but timing can be critical, so your day job should be flexible.

It's a great opportunity you have, don't pass it up.

I have 4 weeks vacation + some personal days. Figured on 7-10 vacation days used for farming work. Flexibility won't be a problem at my "day job".
I'm pretty organized and see where you're going with the planning. Contracts/selling crops - that's my weak spot, but I've got the owner whose not great physically but mind's sharp and another retired farmer who are happy to help with guidance.
Right now three crops on the 80. I could split almost evenly between two, I was leaning that way.
They do have a decent sprayer, so I/we would do the spraying.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)