AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Equipment right for 80 acre farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

eckarsp
Posted 9/14/2018 11:48 (#6987777 - in reply to #6987751)
Subject: RE: Equipment right for 80 acre farm

I'll answer several of your ?'s here.

Planter is a 543 IIRC. Setup for conventional tillage. Can they be converted to notill? Change coulters/openers/etc? Don't want to clamp a toolbar on the front if I don't have to, not sure if the 660 would lift it when full. If memory serves it's a plate planter.

If this actually happens, the family will bankroll the operation. Kids doing well financially, mom & dad are comfortable managed finances wisely. Kids want to see them enjoying retirement. No guarantee how long it would last if we had extended bad weather or some other negative anomaly. Probably when mom & dad are gone, the operation may wind down, no one's said that but I'm prepared for it. No money coming out of my pocket. I'm just doing the work.

I don't see the equipment as something that will give me lots of headaches. It's older but extremely well maintained and IMHO in great condition considering the age. Sure, some stuffs gonna break but that's to be expected.

I hear you on the custom harvesting. Might go that route to start with until we decide what to do with the old combine (fix, or trade/sell).

For me it's a great opportunity to do something fun and productive without investing my own $. And I like the family.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)