AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

size of pickup's today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Andy578
Posted 9/24/2017 19:33 (#6268003 - in reply to #6267925)
Subject: RE: size of pickup's today

Ontario
MattKS - 9/24/2017 20:05

I've heard that reasoning several times for the reason pickups sit up so high now....ground clearance. I can't figure it out, the axle doesn't get raised up. If I look on old pickups the axles on them will drag before the body does too, so I don't buy it.

Same thing with these cushy suspensions, today's pickups squat so much when you throw the smallest amount of weight in them its ridiculous. Looks over function is what we are dealing with these days.

you're right but that clearance from the ground to the body still does make a difference. maybe not so much in mud but in snow it really does.

again people are not buying trucks to use them as trucks so they want a comfortable ride which means a squishy suspension. they of course also demand that their truck has the highest ratings. the result is a squishy but still tough suspension which is 2 things that don't really go together very well. that's also the other reason trucks have gotten so tall. they can't just put soft springs in otherwise it can't handle any real weight so they have to go with taller springs to get more cushion without sacrificing too much strength which also means the body sits higher. the only real solution now is to add airbags or pay for the pricey air suspension if you want to get rid of all the squat

really what it comes down to is 1/2 ton trucks are basically toys for city folks. even the 3/4s are more toy then work these day but they do a better job of balancing the 2. for a real work truck now you gotta go with a 1 ton but who the hell has $100k to blow on a truck? yep that'd be city folks again and eventually those trucks will be more play then work too simply because people that actually need a work truck can't afford the damn things

Edited by Andy578 9/24/2017 19:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)