AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

size of pickup's today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

rosiesdad
Posted 9/24/2017 19:09 (#6267937 - in reply to #6267892)
Subject: RE: size of pickup's today

Western-Central Lower Michigan
Andy578 - 9/24/2017 18:50

1/2 ton doesn't mean they can only hold 1/2 a ton. my ram 1500 is rated for something like 1400lbs in the bed and 10k lbs towing. people demand more and more from their trucks so manufactures keep uping their ratings which also means the trucks have to get bigger and stronger. marketing also plays a big role with everyone trying to best their competitors ratings

as for trucks sitting so high that's mostly for ground clearance as well as bigger tires and a beefy suspension. ground clearance is important for going off road as well as snow in the winter. it makes the bed harder to use but you also have remember most people buying trucks these days will likely never actually use the bed

I beg to differ about ground clearance. I define clearance as the height to drive train/steering. So they went to a little larger tires, but not THAT much larger. My 2000 GMC 2wd was perfect in door sill height, and although the box was a bit tall to reach over the sides, I could easily sit on the tailgate. They just jacked up the body on the next series of pickups. (I think cause no truck wants to be "lower- for sissies". Its MACHO to have a high sitting truck.
My 2011 is a joke, I cant reach in the box, I had to put sissy bar running boards to get in and out, esp for the wife. We arent kids anymore.
Im about ready to buy again, no foreign dealerships within 50 miles, (60 to several dealers that sell imports) the only reason I'd be brand loyal to GM is I have a GM credit card, with GM dollars that come in handy at purchase time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)