AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looks like I'm going one step beyond the lowest cost rtk
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

rayrempel
Posted 6/27/2008 14:50 (#405617 - in reply to #404185)
Subject: RE: Looks like I'm going one step beyond the lowest cost rtk

We use our Outback BaselineHD with an Accutrak autosteer and a Topcon Prosteer autosteer. The Baseline signal IS repeatable and has 1" accuracy in the field. The limitations of single frequ. RTK are signal acquisition and range. If you are looking at keeping the transmitter at one spot and farming more then 2 miles from it the Baseline will come up short. If you are in rolling country and will lose the signal due to hills this could also be a problem but have no firsthand experience with this.

I am finding that the problems with autosteer are no longer related to the signal but to the equipment that controls the steering and the way the equipment trails the steering tractor. With the Accutrak we could not keep our guess rows within 4" so the Accutrak could not control the Buhler 2210 to the accuracy of the signal. Now with the Prosteer and the extra gyros that come with it our guess rows are within 1" once we get off the headlands and we can go anywhere in the field any time of day and get this accuracy. But we still run into the problems of implement drift and the implement straightening out after a headland turn where the guess rows will pinch or spread.

So in my opinion after 2 years with the baseline signal I would recommend it but would be hesitant to recommend the Edrive or other lower end steering controllers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)