AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looks like I'm going one step beyond the lowest cost rtk
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 6/25/2008 14:26 (#404308 - in reply to #404185)
Subject: RE: Looks like I'm going one step beyond the lowest cost rtk

There is another thing associated with the Outback system that may or may not be a problem. AutoFarm, John Deere and Trimble all use proportional steering valves. I'm not sure "proportional steering valves" is the correct terminology, others on here will know. Basically it means that these higher end systems are capable turning your steering wheel at different rates. The Outback steering valve is referred to as a "bang bang" valve. I'm sure that's not a technically correct term either. The idea on the Outback is can't turn the wheel at different speeds. If you do a search on here for Outback hydraulic valve you'll probably find a lot of problems from people trying to find the correct settings to make it work for them on their tractors. I've also read about problems people have had with their hydraulic system in general after installing these valves (like 3 pt not working right) but I've read about that being a problem with Trimble valves too. AutoFarm isn't as common so I haven't read as much about their valves causing hydraulic problems but when you research it you'll learn that adding a hydraulic steering valve to certain tractors can exaggerate any problems that right now you don't know about because they're not significant enough to cause you any issues. You won't find anything about a John Deere hydraulic valve causing problems because as far as I know, anything that has a John Deere valve came that way from the factory rather than having it added later (could be wrong there).

Anyways, it's just important to know that there are differences between how hydraulic valves work for various companies and it would be wise to research that before making a purchase. It is also important to know that ANY hydraulic valve installed in a tractor can cause problems if it's installed in a tractor that is prone to such problems or if it's installed by someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

None of this is from personal experience, it's just what I've read and heard by word of mouth.

The previous posters concerns in regards to Outback accuracy/repeatability is also legitimate. The general consensus on this forum from what I've read is that you get what you pay for. The Outback system will do better than a WAAS only system but it for sure won't do what a good Trimble system with hydraulic steering would do and I would definitely take planting with the MojoRTK and an EZ-Steer over planting with the Outback and it's "bang bang" hydraulic valve.

I have no experience with a big heavy boom in a sprayer like you're describing. All I know is the Patriot 150 that we have with a 75' boom. We have no problems with the EZ-Guide+ and EZ-Steer there.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)