AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good idea or not?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

scurfman
Posted 3/2/2015 09:57 (#4424996 - in reply to #4424705)
Subject: RE: This is what I replied the last time this came up

Sunnyside, WA

More Beans Please - 3/2/2015 04:50 Having some experience in the business , the 3 posts above by I Seed it, johnny, and Man of Steel pretty well tell the story. Working for another shop for few years would give you in the field experience that could be put to use when you go on your own. Wishing you best of luck.

+1

Can't emphasize that enough.  The most successful shops I've seen, whether welding / auto / machining, all have that in common.  The guys all pretty much had the same progression... Some form of schooling --> Start working under someone else's name / business --> Eventually start "side" work (DO NOT QUIT YOUR DAY JOB) --> Burn candle at both ends for awhile --> After establishing a few side customers and a decent reputation, then think about quitting your day job --> Finally, put all your eggs in one basket (your business) and keep your nose to the grindstone.  

I've seen people try to start up a shop cold, no reputation, no customers, lot's of debt.  Can't think of even one that made it past 24 months.  I'm sure they're out there, but the good money is on those that build it up on the side while keeping they day job.

Good luck.  We need as many young people trying to start new businesses as possible.  It's not getting any easier, but don't let that stop you / your friend.  Cheers. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)