AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good idea or not?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Wisconsindairy
Posted 3/1/2015 22:11 (#4424269)
Subject: Good idea or not?

Freedom, WI
I am asking this for a friend because he brought it up today. He is just a little bit older than me and is going to be coming out of high school soon. He wants to go to school to be a welder because he thinks it would be a good job that would fit all of his interests and he could make a bit more than trying to survive on his 60 acres that he rents. There were a few people who told him he should get a service truck and do onsite welding for farmers. His question was, is this a good idea? Has anyone been in his situation where you came out of welding school and went and started your own business? He figures that he would get into some debt the first year and really have to work to make ends meet. The second year would probably be easier after he would build up a name and a reputation for himself. He and his dad are looking at putting up a small shop right now and he said they would build it so he could weld out of it. Currently I don't know of anyone in the area who does on site welding so he would have that working for him. There are also a lot of big farms around the area which means there is a lot of feeding equipment. I figured the best way he would get his answer of if he was needed was to go around to area farmers and ask if they would ever have a need for welding around the farm. On the slow days, me and him could probably even do a little manufacturing for some sales. (probably 3pt. gooseneck hitches and skidsteer attachments with a few other items thrown in there) He definitely isn't afraid to work long hours and get dirty. What do you think? This plan is just in the early stages right now so we have some time to think about it. This was just something that he brought up today while we were cutting wood and wanted some opinion on it. Thanks

One more thing. How should he charge people? Should it be a price for in the shop work and then charge a fee for a service call or should it just be the same price all the way across the board? Charge per mile?

Edited by Wisconsindairy 3/1/2015 22:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)