AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good idea or not?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Fawazhay
Posted 3/2/2015 01:47 (#4424427 - in reply to #4424418)
Subject: RE: Good idea or not?

Northern CA
One other thought I have is this: a few years ago, a local guy, around 30, was going to start a custom welding business and bought a CNC type machine that you can program and make it cut patterns. I thought he would be lucky to pay some bills yet alone make anything. Well, I was wrong. We do most of our own welding, but when he charged $45-50 per hour, I used him all the time. When he went up to $65 per hour, I started chosing when I would use him. His rate didn't seem to effect his business, as he is so busy he can't see straight and has hired a helper. He has been busy for 5 years now. I thought there was no need for him.

On the issue of what to charge, I think that is tough. If one doesn't charge enough, he wears out his stuff, doesn't make enough to get ahead, and is busy all the time. When he raises his price, he will have to settle at the happy medium.

Also, liability insurance is a must. I usually only hire out welding now that I don't want the liability of, like hitches, axles, ect. I also agree with the comments about machining. We have a lathe, but don't have much tooling. We don't have an end mill. If he could combine his welding with other machine work, I think he would do much better and could charge a little more. Just my thoughts
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)