AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good idea or not?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 3/2/2015 01:13 (#4424418 - in reply to #4424408)
Subject: RE: Good idea or not?

West Union, Illinois
GDAD has some very valid points. Sometimes the only thing worse than working for a farmer is selling horse hay. But sometimes there isn't a better customer either. I have a different concern though.

If I'm reading this right your friend has no experience as a welder. He may have done some welding and may be good at it. But it looks like he has not done commercial welding and hasn't been in the business. He needs training (going to welding school qualifies) experience as a welder and experience in business. If he's going to be good there is a lot of learning ahead of him. And if he is going to be successful he really needs to get a business education as well.

I was listening to a couple guys talking a few weeks ago. One is the best aluminum welder in this area. Nobody with a lick of sense argues with him when he starts talking welding. He was talking with an electrical guy about phase converters and rectifiers and how varying this just a little really affected that and .... Well I was lost by the second sentence.

If your friend is going to succeed he has to be really good. If he is single and willing to travel I'm told there is good money in being a good welder. And if he wants to make it on his own he really needs to get a handle on the business side. Maybe I'm just getting old but it seems I've seen a lot of guys go broke trying to be a welder because they did not have a handle on the business side of things.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)