AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone battling cancer choose not to have chemo or radiation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 5/24/2014 12:16 (#3885040 - in reply to #3884060)
Subject: RE: Anyone battling cancer choose not to have chemo or radiation?

North Central Illinois
Sorry for your loss and for your mother's current health crisis. How long ago did your friend pass from Leukemia? How old of a fella was he? Treatments for certain types of Leukemia and Lymphoma have come a long way in just the last five or six years. Many of the blood cancers are much, much more treatable and survivable than they were 20 years ago. It depends largely upon the type of Leukemia and Lymphoma of which there are many, and the age of the patient. Very young children and adults over the age of 60 or 65 are the hardest to treat.

In answer to you question about treatment or not I would definitely opt for some form of treatment given the advancement of treatments in recent years. Not all cancers are an automatic death sentence where chemo or radiation only prolongs the agony or gives a patient a few more months or years. Had I not taken chemo I would not have survived. I am still not cured but hope to get to that point some day. Your mom needs to have an oncologist that she is extremely comfortable with and can trust. There are many extraordinary oncologists out there who are extremely devoted and care for their patients a great deal. Unfortunately there are also some who are just making a living and don't have much of a bedside manner and lack compassion.

I sympathize with what you have gone thru with your friend and what you are currently dealing with concerning your mother. Good luck to you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)