AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone battling cancer choose not to have chemo or radiation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

TractorAddict
Posted 5/23/2014 14:38 (#3884060)
Subject: Anyone battling cancer choose not to have chemo or radiation?

West of Broken Bow
I know this is an unpleasant subject and if you have never had a friend, family member, or close acquaintance die of cancer or battle it, then you may not really know what it's like.

Lost a very good friend to leukemia. It was awful. Took too long before they diagnosed him with acute blood cancer. Before he had any tests run he was at church on a Sunday taking communion and passed out. Made an appointment the next day to see his Dr. Said it was his heart and scheduled surgery for a pacemaker. The day of the surgery they discovered something wrong with his blood. He switched doctors and that's when they told him it wasn't his heart, it was leukemia. Told him maybe he had six months to live if he took chemo treatments.

He declined since it would mean being even weaker than he currently was. A few months later he passed away. It was very difficult to see a large, active man whom I often had so many good times with, be confined to a wheel chair. He called me over one day and said he needed to talk with me. Told me he was dying and appreciated all I had done for him. That was hard to accept.

Now, my mom is battling cancer. She's still trying to heal from surgery and found out there are suspicious areas on the lungs and elsewhere. She never smoked and hasn't spent much time around anyone who does. Can't tell you the total number of tests and doctor visits since last year. More tests are scheduled.
She may not go through with chemo or radiation. Can't have any done yet due to other complications.

Just curious if any of y'all ever decided against chemo or radiation? Having to discuss burial plans too is hard. Not trying to make anyone sad. Just need to discuss the subjects.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)