AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone battling cancer choose not to have chemo or radiation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

PrairieSchooner
Posted 5/24/2014 09:37 (#3884923 - in reply to #3884060)
Subject: RE: Anyone battling cancer choose not to have chemo or radiation?

Kansas

Glad you brought up this topic. Anyone who has had a loved one struggle with cancer has heard the doctors say that 1 in 3 of us will get cancer. None of us want cancer, but if a loved one is diagnosed with it, decisions have to be made quickly and it's probably safe to say that none of us are prepared for these life-and-death decisions.

The Sommers book that was suggested is a good idea to read for anyone -- it's my belief now that everyone should make a "cancer plan" in case they are ever faced with making these decisions.

Some books I found helpful for anyone who cares for a person with a terminal illness, for understanding how they feel:

May I walk you home?
http://www.amazon.com/May-Walk-You-Home-Anniversary/dp/159471214X

Final Gifts
http://www.amazon.com/Final-Gifts-Understanding-Awareness-Communica...

Chemo or not, treatment or not, is a personal decision. Many people choose quality of life over quantity. It's really up to the person. I agree with those who said "second opinion" -- always. It's an understood practice among cancer doctors.

I'm glad your friend with leukemia was comfortable telling you his feelings. That says a lot about you as a friend! Listen to your mother, don't be afraid to ask her what she wants, let her talk about what she's feeling, and help her to get what she says she wants.

You may also search for support groups on the web for people who have the same kind of cancer as your mom. People on the site will have lots of information about their medical experience, their treatment, their emotions, their choices.
Thank goodness your mother has such a caring, wonderful son. Praying for you all.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)