AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

They are going to tie conservation compliance to crop insurance.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

gpsdude
Posted 1/27/2014 22:51 (#3641560 - in reply to #3640345)
Subject: Re: They are going to tie conservation compliance to crop insurance.

NE South Dakota Clark, SD
https://www.kyfb.com/media/files/fed/legislative-affairs/farm-bill-r...

This is a very interesting read, vailcat. The way I understand it is that everyone must file 1026 forms on all land to be eligible for subsidized crop insurance. NRCS better hire about 100,000 new people to do wetland determinations in SD and ND. In my area NRCS tells everyone to hire private consultants if you want it done so you can tile and stay in compliance. They don't seam to be in a rush to get them done. Then NRCS sits on the results because they don't agree with the private consultants.

I know a lot of farmers that have gotten out of the farm program because of this. They are sick of waiting to know what they can and can't tile. This is mostly large farms that feel now they must drain all wetlands. It is kind of an all or none attitude. If they lose subsidies they have to make up for the loss of revenue somewhere else. Most have looked into private catastrophic plans just in case. They feel that with the extra really really good acres they have picked up through drainage, they will still be money ahead. There will be years that it sucks, but hopefully there are enough good years to overcome the losses in the bad.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)