AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

They are going to tie conservation compliance to crop insurance.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

vailcat
Posted 1/27/2014 17:39 (#3640345 - in reply to #3640182)
Subject: Re: They are going to tie conservation compliance to crop insurance.

NCND
Read that today too. Im afraid there is nothing we can do at this point. Its all over but the crying isn't that how the story goes??

I wish the guys who wanted this would understand that this will net net cost the state more in wild life habitat than draining some bothersome potholes ever would. You are going to lose more and more no till acres in this part of the state as long as it stays wet. So that means less habitat for wildlife, nesting for ducks,(they make the nests in wheat stubble more than anywhere not in potholes), more soil erosion, yada yada yada. the list goes on. None of this ground is HEL so we will be in compliance and be able to destroy habitat and do stuff that is worse for the soil and the farms than what some strategically placed drain tile would ever do. We lead the country in PP year in year out and where it was once all no till is now being tilled. The snow is black in many spots from soil blowing around for the first time in forever it seems, all the wetlands are worked black just as they are every year and hopefully come spring all the ducks will have to nests elsewhere since you never see a duck nest in a black field.Then next year they can take a duck survey and blame us draining potholes on decreased duck numbers not the fact that the nesting ground is all worked black ect.

On top of all the unintended social(wildlife habitat, farming practice changes) consequences from this we will also stay on the government dole for PP, MPCI and other forms of loss we will have as long as we cannot in a timely and economical way manage water. The effort to save our pristine .1 acre wet spots will result in the greatest loss of wildlife habitat and increase in erosion my county has seen and probably the state thru loss of notill and other conservation practices we voluntarily do already without any government payment. It will cost the taxpayers money by increased insurance claims and the bad will far out weight the good on this when it is all said and done.

I have an open offer to any DU guy, PF fella or EWG wannabe to come on out and see exactly what I'm talking about. It will be the last time anyone with a hunting interest ever steps foot on this farm again but I'll show them what they had gong for them and then snatch it right back. I encourage everyone to do the exact same. These people are the enemy.

I found this link back last fall. It is from 5/10/13. it lists the conservation compliance facts for tying to insurance. Have no clue if it is still relevant or not. Worth a quick read.

https://www.kyfb.com/media/files/fed/legislative-affairs/farm-bill-r...
"

This willl take years to implement due to the shear number of 1026's that need to be filled out. Im almost 3 years into a 1026 for tile and there is me and one other fella in the county doing any tiling!!!!!!

I'm sure everyone is tired of me harping on this and rightfully so but until a person walks a mile or even a quarter mile in our shoes here they should refrain from judging to harshly the strong opinions by us here on the issue.

Good night and good luck

Edited by vailcat 1/27/2014 17:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)