AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Economy Car experiences
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 6/29/2006 21:32 (#22902 - in reply to #22884)
Subject: Re: tranny problem with a 3.8L?

West Union, Illinois

Ed Winkle - 6/29/2006 18:59 ever have a tranny problem with a 3.8L?

Yes, had a 97 Buick LeSabre with a 3.8.  Transmission started acting funny a year or more ago.  Local transmission shop said could fix it now or drive it till it drops and would cost the same.  My Brother In Law the Buick mechanic said the same, but he suggested replacing the car instead of the transmission.

Drove it for over a year, finally got to the place I didn't trust it.  Also, the speedometer/odometer quit.   Intermittently at first, then totally.  2 mechanics told me it was in the cluster and would cost a minimum of $500 and possibly $1500 to repair.

Traded a 97 LeSabre with about 120,000 needing $4000+ repairs plus tires for a 2001 LeSabre with 80,000 (with new tires) for $5000 and change.  Gets 30 MPG on the road, plenty of room for grandson's car seat and paraphernalia. Rides BUNCHES better than a couple "economy" cars we looked at that only got 4-5 MPG better at most.  2001 tranny is supposed to have corrected the problems the older ones had.

Oh, and on economy cars, used to have an 89 Ford Festiva that Ford bought from the Japanese who had the Koreans build for them.  Got 40+ MPG, rode pretty good, very dependable.  Did everything I wanted including sacrifice itself to save my daughters when they turned left in front of a Jeep Grand Cherokee that was running 45+ MPH.  Hit head on and the girls walked away with scratches and bruises.

The old Festiva was GREAT car.  Wish they still made them.

Edited by Mike SE IL 6/29/2006 21:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)