AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Enlisting in the military....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

rodrod5
Posted 11/19/2012 22:29 (#2706830 - in reply to #2706776)
Subject: Re: Enlisting in the military....

Lubbock, Texas
if you can work the deal that CRJ is talking about that would be the best

1. medical school will require the right degree and more important the right grades.....being deployed or active military while trying to get those classes and make those grades will be difficult

2. if you enlist they OWN you......do they desire to lie to you.....not exactly, but if things change the ONLY contract that means anything is YOU ARE IN AND YOU BELONG TO US.....PERIOD

3. the military will usually pay for medical school along with an agreed upon commitment after degree completion....the benefit to that is with an undergrad degree you will be an officer right off the bat....I believe, but am not sure that you are in the military upon entering medical school and you might even get a bit of pay

4. if you can get some forms of aid and go ROTC with some more tuition aid that may help with just "being a college student in ROTC" VS being a reserve going to college as CRJ is talking about.....which one works for your kid might differ from situation to situation

5. I would talk to the ROTC at the chosen/preferred schools AND I would talk to the adviser for the pre=med program AND I would try and talk to someone at the medical school they are considering or one or more in the area to see how their programs (if they have them) work for people that are going to commit to the military to get medical school paid for.....in other words I would talk to the military AND non-military sides of the equation and then have all the answers written down and then go over the options and see what might not "jive" between any of their various programs and answers, get clarity for those things (if any) and then go over the various options

6. away from home, new to college, and trying to make grades is hard enough.....military commitment of any type (beyond on campus ROTC) just adds to that and it takes a VERY disciplined student to complete online/distance/independent study/night classes which is what some military options will entail especially if committed to the military first for your waking hours of the day then you need to make the grades

no offense to the military at all, but in the wrong program "college" "grades" and "medical school" aspirations will just be secondary to what those in charge are trying to get you to accomplish for the day. week, month, year, term of enlistment

it may even turn out to be best to just go for 4 years military and then get the GI Bill for college and be a college student and then maybe look again to the military for medical school.....the LAST thing you want to do is have the military get in the way of grades needed to get into medical school and that CAN be an issue for sure

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)