AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Enlisting in the military....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

CRJ
Posted 11/19/2012 21:50 (#2706716 - in reply to #2706543)
Subject: RE: Enlisting in the military....

NEIN
Becareful about outright enlisting or joining the National Gaurd. My son is in his first year at West Point but his backup plan was ROTC at Purdue. The program you want is to have your son be sure he will not be deployed while in college, in other words he gets the education first and then owes the military commitment of so many years that may be in the active, reserves or a combination of both. My son will owe 5 years after graduation but he is getting a full ride. By using ROTC he would only have gotten tution assitance. My son will be on active duty as a 2nd LT which pays pretty well after graduation. If he had gone ROTC they would not promise active duty and if you end up in the reserves you will still be deployed for some period of time but only be a part time solider. Makes life difficult. I would encourage him to apply to all the military academies and try for that first, they provide the best education by far and the most opportunities after service. You do have to be a good student and leader to get in though but they do like farm kids.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)