AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

soil structure and health
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mlebrun
Posted 11/17/2012 14:18 (#2702303 - in reply to #2702199)
Subject: Re: soil structure and health

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
CRJ one can say the same thing about farms that do not have tile. Its a proven fact that a well tiled farm has less surface runoff then a non tiled farm. So if I use minimum tillage and pattern tile vs a notiller that doesn;t have tile which one is more guilty of runoff?
I live in an area in SW mn that sits on a ridge and also has heavy clay soils. We are 5 to 10 degrees cooler than sioux falls or sioux city. Those areas can notill we can;t. Yes I have tried it, very tough to manage notill under our conditions and still maintain yield. You have to LIVE HERE to understand. I also run manure over most of my soybean ground ahead of corn. The custom operators have disc covering equipment thus I have to field cultivate those acres in the spring for a seed bed and to also spread out the nutrients. How would you no till that?? Then after the corn comes off don;t you think I need to rip the compaction caused by the heavy tanks the fall before?? What about the tons and tons of corn stalks I have from the manure application?? Just leave them on top?? The ground would never dry out in the spring for planting on time. We have a hard enough time getting it to dry out if its worked.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)