AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

soil structure and health
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 11/19/2012 00:15 (#2705321 - in reply to #2705301)
Subject: RE: Dare History to repeat.....

southern MN
Perhaps in your soils.

In some areas of southern MN, the water table and the soil surface are very close to, or even overlap from time to time. The water does not drain or flow out - you need to time water drainage in months, not hours or days 'here'.

No amount of earthworms will help that soil dry out.

Tillage will only help it dry out from evaporation, not from any sort of drainage. But - the tillage and blackened surface _will_ help the ground dry out....

Your statement wouldn't work, or 'hold water' in some areas of southern MN for the soil type and water table levels.

I'm not saying your comments have no merrit for your conditions, I'm sure there is something to it in different types of soil and water conditions?

'Here' a lack of tillage results in wetter soils. Without tillage, the wet clay and high water table results in drowned worms, they won't make any burrows.

I graze some cornstalks in fall, ground doesn't get worked until spring. I'm real familiar with the difference between worked in fall, and unworked ground come spring 'here'. No 2 years are the same, and some years - last year - the spring cornstalks actually were better! But that was a rare, rare year. Most years I lose a little bit of yield, and am glad I can work & plant the rest of my farm waiting on those stalks to dry out & warm up.

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)