AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Folks, I am going to lay it on the line.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 10/8/2012 11:34 (#2629948 - in reply to #2629433)
Subject: RE: Folks, I am going to lay it on the line.

nw NC
Label for NUFLOR that I found online says " Do not use in female dairy cattle 20 months of age or older." There may be revised/updated label with more use/withholding info that is more recent than the info I found. However, using the info I found I will say the following:
I do not know whether you or your vet decided to use NUFLOR, but if the vet did , I'm going to say your vet should know better.

Warnings below copied and pasted from :

http://intervetus.naccvp.com/?m=product_view&id=1047137

Nuflor®

Intervet/Merck Animal Health

(FLORFENICOL)

PRODUCT INFORMATION

NADA #141-063, Approved by FDA.

Injectable Solution

300 mg/mL

For intramuscular and subcutaneous use in beef and non-lactating dairy cattle only.

Not for use in female dairy cattle 20 months of age or older or in calves to be processed for veal.

RESIDUE WARNINGS: Animals intended for human consumption must not be slaughtered within 28 days of the last intramuscular treatment. Animals intended for human consumption must not be slaughtered within 38 days of subcutaneous treatment. Do not use in female dairy cattle 20 months of age or older. Use of florfenicol in this class of cattle may cause milk residues. A withdrawal period has not been established in preruminating calves. Do not use in calves to be processed for veal.

My opinion is this : If an animal does not respond to medication therapy by returning to good health and production quickly , either kill and bury/render it or hold it as a dry cow for a longer period than minimum drug withhold time . To do so would give a better chance that there would be no possibility of drug residues being retained in the animal for some unexplainable ,freakish reason and would allow animal to possibly regain some body condition for better sale price.
Cutting withhold date as close to bare minimum is, I think, risky. You certainly wouldn't want to risk getting a warning letter from FDA notifying of drug residue violation.

Edited by WJKEIGER 10/8/2012 11:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)