AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Folks, I am going to lay it on the line.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 10/8/2012 08:47 (#2629745 - in reply to #2629704)
Subject: RE: Meat problems are almost always

Faunsdale, AL
Mark,
You are repeating something that is untrue. go back and look it up. When the last BSE positive cow was identified, by my count that made it equal.

However, I fully expect the numbers to trend toward more dairy cattle identified positive with sporadic BSE, simply because it's easier to sample more downer cattle from dairy than beef. The USDA's BSE surveillance program to date, does not attempt to gather samples in proportion to the number of cattle of each type in this country. The samples from disabled livestock are taken on a voluntary basis from whatever cattle are available in an attempt to sample animals which have a higher likelyhood of having BSE. Lots easier to get samples from a dairy farm with someone watching the cows twice a day and them being readily accessable as opposed to the thousands of beef cattle which are seen by humans much less often and are miles from anyone to come collect a brain sample.

The fact that we are identifying BSE cases here in the USA is simply a result of two things.
One, we're looking for the disease with an effective monitoring program
Two, there is apparently a constant, very low level of BSE occurring naturally in the cattle population.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)