AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Folks, I am going to lay it on the line.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

proud2Bafarmer
Posted 10/7/2012 22:24 (#2629309 - in reply to #2628686)
Subject: Sorry Jim......

Baldwin City, KS
Other than Bovishield Gold, and Ultrabac 7 every year, I would say that one shot of Oxytetracycline was about the only shot that cow has had. Hardly what I would call heavily medicated. I only gave her a shot one time, because I didn't want to put a heavily medicated cow into the food chain. She was not a toothless 16 year old bag of bones. She started getting in poor condition for some reason. No I did not have the vet out. Yes I, as the manager of an operation consisting of 141 mother cows, 52 heifers, and their residing calves, made the judgement call to give this cow a shot while I had her caught for an examination. A judgement call. Last time I checked, that is what managers do. When the w/d time passed and condition hadn't improved, I opted to sell the cow. The OP was about the fact that I thought $10 cwt was a little cheap.

I built this operation, mostly from the ground up, by being able to make decisions and problem solve as necessary. If I couldn't make hardly a move without consultations from vet's, mechanic's, crop consultant's, accountant's, well you get the picture, I would get precious little done in the few hours of daylight that the good Lord chooses to bless me with each day. I do consult with the vet on many things throughout the course of the year. Other times, I know that I have to make a move when I have the chance. I did not know exactly what was wrong with the cow when I gave her the shot. I have seen many times when the vet couldn't quite figure out what a problem was either, but LA 200 or penicillin was in the equation. That is why I started there. I followed the recommended dosage instructions and withdrawl time on the label. As I do many times, I made a real world decision to use the tools I had available to help an animal on my farm.

I consider myself good at what I do. I learn something brand new daily in this business and try to apply it when I can. Farming/Ranching is my full time job, my attempt at providing for my family, my contribution to society (by circulating rediculous amounts of money and keeping very little of it), and my life. I make the best decisions I can at the time I have to make them and I stand behind them, right or wrong. That being said, I simply refuse to take any further criticism for doing what I consider to be my duty as a cattleman. Attempting to help an animal that can't help itself.

By the way Jim, I kind of thought maybe you and I were buddies here on this forum. If you have me in your cross hairs with this post, which it appears you might, then I guess I may have misjudged your character. I'm a little disappointed here. Say it aint so. Don't forget I was the first guy to step up to the plate for you when that George Peterson guy came on here and criticized all your posts where you proudly put up pictures of your Herefords. I have respect for you and your operation Jim. Have some respect for me and my management abilities, however imperfect they may be.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)