AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Folks, I am going to lay it on the line.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

breweye
Posted 10/8/2012 09:47 (#2629838 - in reply to #2629733)
Subject: Re: Folks, I am going to lay it on the line.

eastern ontario
I might as well reply too. Not many have replied on here from Canada so I will. Jim makes great points. I have lived through BSE here which distroyed or beef industry for many years. We ran a feedlot and milked cows when it hit us between the eyes. Cattle dropped to .30/lb. Cull dairy cows were worthless. It took a shock to the system like that to smarten all farmers up. Things are so tight here that cows that have been discribed above would never get slaughtered you either as cousinit says reabilitate them or if you want them gone you put them down. I havew a small pasture where I have two cows on a get well program right now. They both had acute mastitis and suffered from it. If I had of shipped them as soon as the drug withdawl was up they would have not gone through. They are fine now but just putting a little meat across there ribs and getting all the swelling out of there udders and in two or three months they will sell well. That is our reality. If a cow has strawberry foot or is old and stiff she comes home from barnsales or you pay the dead stock removal bill for her. The good thing with our system now is that if they are healthy the return on cull cows is not to bad. If you want to rely on govenment inspectors to do there job and just tell Jim to blow his warning out his nose then fine but someday you may have bigger problems then keeping an undisireable cow around the farm longer then you want
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)