AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best be paying attention to E -RBOB spread
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 7/10/2012 23:48 (#2478691 - in reply to #2477709)
Subject: RE: Pretty good supply of etoh in storage..?!?

I've raised dryland corn every year since 1990... Right after the droughts of 88/89.. In 89 the field of the corn pic's below made 5 bu wheat.. "that ain't gonna work.." we basically only raised wheat in the mudholes that year.

"What the heck.. if you can't get enough rain to make a wheat crop.. then you might as well plant something that can BUST IT when you do." 

Right out of the gate made 100 bu dryland corn that first year.. (hooked for life..)  "NOW We're Talk'in!!

Some year's you know it's gonna work.. (and some years it even does..)  Others you know it probably won't.. (by golly I'm gonna do it ANYWAY!!) and you are usually correct then also.. but some year's are "wow how did that fail?" as well as "where did that come from?"

so.. "you never really know."

Over time we have seen that a crop rotation.. even in the Great American Desert.. has benefits.  The corn has a higher fertility program..plus we are "maybe" increasing the organic matter.. (lol.. like 0.00000000001%.. ??

Usually 2 years after the corn.. on the wheaties we'll see about a 10% to 20% pop in the yield.. it's very pronounced.. and sticks out like a sore thumb on yield maps.  We had one 15 acre dryland patch of wheat do mid 60's this year under such conditions.. right after coming from the good dirt that struggled to make 30..  ???  (golly gonna be one of THOSE years.. oh.. maybe not..)

The 100 to 115 bu years aren't too bad but the 15 to 25'ish are kind of harsh.. so I can only afford to gamble on so much.. and yes the crop insurance helps even things out.  BUT you do have to maintain yields.. I have a 115 bu APH on one dryland field this year.. and some 50's..

Here's our double crop beanies..that you've asked about.  I've been coaxing them along.. thinking "happy beanie" thoughts and talk'in Sweet to 'em EVERY DAY!  We actually had TOO MUCH carry over fertility after last year's poor corn crop here.. the wheat lodged really bad.. and at first didn't think we could do much.. started dumping a little water on it and (normally gets worse..) actually got better.. 'cept the one field.  So note to those who may do that this year.. SOIL TEST BEFORE you dump the fertility to it..  "whoops."

"Golly can't raise anything without it.. can ya?"

I've been misering our water.. running only at night and shutting down during the heat of the day.. I WANT EVERY DROP to go into the soil profile.. the plan is to capture another 2"er at some poing.. golly hope Elwynn Taylor has it pegged..?!? 

Ya feel me DOG?!?

The probe shows how much water we have in the profile.. with a pretty decent "mulch" holding things in.. "not bad" but a "ways to go yet.."

Here's our dryland corn pic's.. pollination wasn't kind..(no kidding.. 105 that week..)  the neighbors who jumped in early with 97 day corn look better.. last year I got burnt on my too early planted stuff so I waited.. shouldn't have..

"always something." 

Try again next year I guess.

Like I say.. we're doing all we can..

Edited by JonSCKs 7/11/2012 00:37

(7.10.12 009 (Small).jpg)

(7.10.12 010 (Small).jpg)

(7.10.12 013 (Small).jpg)

(7.10.12 022 (Small).jpg)

(7.10.12 023 (Small).jpg)

(7.10.12 024 (Small).jpg)

(7.10.12 020 (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 7.10.12 009 (Small).jpg (94KB - 92 downloads)
Attachments 7.10.12 010 (Small).jpg (96KB - 104 downloads)
Attachments 7.10.12 013 (Small).jpg (46KB - 92 downloads)
Attachments 7.10.12 022 (Small).jpg (49KB - 93 downloads)
Attachments 7.10.12 023 (Small).jpg (77KB - 104 downloads)
Attachments 7.10.12 024 (Small).jpg (82KB - 94 downloads)
Attachments 7.10.12 020 (Small).jpg (48KB - 114 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)