AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting a small-hobby herd
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Greg Stremel
Posted 2/23/2012 22:10 (#2247671 - in reply to #2246418)
Subject: RE: Starting a small-hobby herd

Southwest Missouri
Many good ideas.

We raise cattle with some crops. My brother and I each have good jobs. We farm because we like it. We also try to make money. It is a lot more fun to make money.

My advice is to have good facilities to work cattle. As a part timer, you need to get things done in a short period of time. It is quicker, safer, and more fun to work cattle with the right pens, gates, chute, load out etc. Good fences so you will find the cows where you left them are also nice :)

Another issue is when to have your calves. I am trying the minority view on this forum and expecting calves starting may 1. Since I work in town, I only have a little time to check cows before I go to the courthouse and a little time in the evening. We have had two bad winters before this mild winter. I got no enjoyment seeing baby calves in the cold mud. Even 200-300 lbs calves will get sick. My experience is that if you doctor them they will live, if you do not they will always die. I hope May calves will have less problems. We will see.

Good luck with your choices.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)