AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting a small-hobby herd
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

t rock
Posted 2/23/2012 20:31 (#2247384 - in reply to #2247200)
Subject: Re: Starting a small-hobby herd

Tablerock Ranch eastern Wa
first off great idea. you will enjoy the heck out off 90 % of the process the other ten % will make the 90 even sweeter. i would jump in now with no hesitation based on your desciption, buy the best quality purebred cattle you can get your hands on, you wont regret it, i would buy bred cows that may be late for the seedstock man you may get to buy direct and forge a great and benificial relationship, that you can use as a rookie, once you are happy with your numbers breed your purebreds to an outside breed for a two way cross, for maximum preformance, one thing that will enhance your process will be building first cabin facilities, once again you wont regret this decision, "a must" for the guy that has a day job and cant be layed up injured or called about cows out often at work, one other thing to think of if you sell locker beef to friends or family, based on the size of the herd you plan in my OP the main thing you should strive for is beef quality forget weaning weights with just 25 calves to sell every year brag your cattle up when the hide comes off. good luck and enjoy ! oh ya take an AI class and AI if possible.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)