AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting a small-hobby herd
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

southernblues
Posted 2/23/2012 09:55 (#2246418)
Subject: Starting a small-hobby herd

SE Kansas
Hi All -

Been enjoying reading the posts for last several months. Met Jim and his purdy Herefords through email from this board and like seeing all the pics.

Question for the group:

I have a goal to start a small cow/calf operation -- family has 100+ acres of good pasture (been renting out) with another 60 acres in prairie and about 150 in tillable. My objective (while I have a full-time good income) is to build a quality herd over the next 15-20 yrs so that when I retire I have something I would enjoy (grew up raising livestock/farming).

If you had access to cash and the land at no cost, with the goal of cow/calf (20-25 cows) -- with today's prices, would you invest in cow/calf pairs now, open heifers, bred heifers, etc? Realizing I have no plans to reap any profits for 2-3 yrs (or more) but it appears the cow/calf market is definitely a sellers market -- I don't need the 20-25 cows all at once, I can build over several years -- goal is quality and after initial stock $$ (20-25k) I just want to be a good steward of the investment.

Thanks-tw
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)